Friday, May 22, 2026

Sugar cane sucrose level close to 20%

Date:

Share post:

TESTS ON SUGAR CANES last week revealed their sucrose content is marginally close to the 20 per cent threshold needed to start the 2024 crop.

Head of the Barbados Energy and Sugar Company, retired Lieutenant Colonel Trevor Browne, told the DAILY NATION on Wednesday that officials at Portvale Factory in Blowers, St James, will continue to test the sucrose levels, and once a consistent 20 per cent threshold is reached, then deliveries of canes will commence.

“The crop will start when we are ready. The tests continue to be done and once the sucrose levels are right, then the crop will start,” he said.

Last week, during the Estimates Debate in the House of Assembly, the chairman of the Barbados Agricultural Management Company, Ambassador Dr Clyde Mascoll, said that the last tests done in the first week of March had shown the levels were close to the required 20 per cent, and the crop should be starting sometime this week. (BA)

Related articles

Symmonds pushes services-led growth as Barbados eyes digital economy expansion

Minister of Energy, Business Development and Commerce Kerrie Symmonds says Barbados must move quickly to diversify its economy...

Traffic upgrades rolled out at Highway 7/Rendezvous junction

Motorists using the junction of Highway 7 and Rendezvous Road are expected to experience improved traffic flow following...

Quinn moulding young artistes

Quinn Prescott loves working with upcoming junior calypsonians and soca artistse. As the youth director of House of...

Guardiola says Man City ‘need new energy’ as exit confirmed

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City need "new energy" as he brought an end to his 10-year reign as manager. The club...