Thursday, May 21, 2026

Trinidad Express moves to retrench staff – union vows to fight

Date:

Share post:

The Banking, Insurance and General Workers Union (BIGWU) says it is moving swiftly to protect employees of the Trinidad Express newspaper following the company’s decision to retrench several editorial staff members as part of a restructuring exercise.

In a letter to workers on Wednesday,  the union acknowledged the anxiety surrounding the proposed cuts, stating: “We deeply understand that this is an incredibly tense and distressing time for everyone. Facing the threat of job losses strikes at the very heart of our livelihoods and our families. However, we want to assure you in no uncertain terms: your Union is actively seized of this matter.”

Months after one of the country’s newspapers shut down, the Trinidad Express informed BIGWU, which represents its staff, that it plans to reduce its editorial department from 33 to 26 employees.

Under the proposed restructuring plan, two sub-editors, one night editor position—which is to be made redundant—and four reporters, including three based in Port-of-Spain and one in San Fernando, are expected to be affected.

The union also stressed that the company must comply with all legal procedures governing restructuring and retrenchment exercises.

“While the company frames this as a ‘proposed restructuring review,’ strict legal procedures must be followed under the law. We will hold management fully accountable to those legal frameworks,” BIGWU said, adding that its executive was reviewing the details and would issue a formal response soon.

The announcement comes just two weeks after the newspaper’s parent company, One Caribbean Media, reported an after-tax profit of TT$4.36 million for the three-month period ending March 31.

In the company’s May 7 financial report, Chairman Faarees Hosein said the Trinidad media business continued to face a difficult advertising market, though there were early signs of recovery. He said the company was pursuing cost-saving measures and structural efficiencies while enhancing multimedia offerings to improve long-term sustainability.

The media industry has faced mounting challenges over the past year, with reduced advertising revenue from both government and private sector entities affecting operations across the sector.

In January, Newsday ceased operations, leaving 60 employees jobless after liquidators from Ernst & Young were appointed to oversee the winding up of the company’s affairs.

Last year, Digicel Group also shut down its digital media platform Loop and announced the closure of regional sports broadcaster SportsMax, affecting more than 100 workers across the region. (CMC)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
Captcha verification failed!
CAPTCHA user score failed. Please contact us!

Related articles

Arrests made following robbery involving visitor at Bay Street

The Barbados Police Service says several young men have been arrested following investigations into a robbery involving a...

Police issue wanted bulletin for ‘Mad Rapper’

The Barbados Police Service is seeking the public’s assistance in locating Terry Corie Alexandra Waldron, also known as...

Pacers bowl Red Force to historic West Indies Championship title

Trinidad and Tobago Red Force’s pace quartet of Jayden Seales, Anderson Phillip, Terrance Hinds and Joshua James ran...

Cover coming for those in non-standard employment

Barbadian workers engaged in non-standard forms of employment who currently find themselves outside the National Insurance and Social...