Home Blog Page 102

Regional countries concerned about leakage within tourism sector

Caribbean tourism ministers have expressed concern regarding the “leakage” within the sector and are trying to formulate strategies to deal with the situation, Antigua and Barbuda’s  Tourism, Civil Aviation, Transportation and Investment Minister, Charles “Max” Fernandez, said on Wednesday.

Tourism leakage in the Caribbean is estimated to be at 80 percent of visitor expenditure and as he addressed the 44th edition of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) Marketplace here, Fernandez said that the regional tourism ministers had met on Tuesday for what he described as a “very good meeting.

“ And one of the concerns, the major concern, was leakage. And so what we need to do to see what we can do to curtail the amount of leakage, as we know, the majority of what we consume and use in the Caribbean is imported,”  Fernandez told the delegates.

“ So it’s safe to say that we actually import our inflation. But we are trying to see, putting our heads together, to see what we can do in terms of tourism being the main driver of the economy, what we can do to find ways of reducing that leakage that is going out

“I’m sure that you will get an update later today or tomorrow as the outcome of that meeting and the important points that were made,”  he said, adding that another issue he is  personally quite passionate about is the whole aspect of having ”our people at the top tier of the industry.

“I say all the time that we can’t replace a sugar plantation for a hotel plantation. It’s not going to work. So, of course,  we have UWI (University of the West Indies) here. Now that’s got to be a big boost for us.

“But we also want all of our partners in the industry to understand that our people can sell our country better than anybody else,”  Fernandez said, adding that “as a result, in each island, I think we need to ensure and push to see that we can keep as many of our people at the top”.

Fernandez in his  address thanked the outgoing CHTA president and St. Lucian hotelier, Sanovnik Destang “for the service that he’s provided for all of us over his term in office”  adding that he was looking forward to working with the incoming president from Dominica.

Fernandez said that Antigua and Barbuda is reporting an increase in visitor arrivals over last year and “we really look forward to a great 2026”.

He said that a number of properties are due to come on stream this year and that “all the stars seem to have been lining for us”.

But Fernandez noted that with the geopolitical situations, including the price of oil resulting in an increase in the cost of living which “extends out to the employees in the industry who are saying, look, I need a livable wage, not a minimum wage.

“So that is something that I think that we may very well have to face within the industry. Of course, we’re no strangers to hurricanes and storms. We saw what happened to Jamaica recently, and we’re keeping our fingers crossed and saying our prayers diligently night and day, to ensure that we can hopefully keep the Caribbean and, for that matter, the rest of the world safe.

“Then, of course, we face the acidification of the ocean, the warming of the ocean, the loss of coral reefs, which is so important to all of us, and of course, added to that, you have the sargassum seaweed inundated a lot of our beaches.”

Fernandez said several  Caribbean countries have been affected which in turn affects the properties staying open.

“But in spite of all of that, we’re still hoping and praying, of course, that we can manage through this difficult or challenging year ahead,”  he said, adding that Antigua and Barbuda is seeking to take advantage of the MICE market, with meetings, incentives, conferences, and exhibitions.

On Tuesday, CHTA executives  during a closed door session discussed the rapid growth of short-term rentals across the region, unveiling a new framework to help governments regulate the sector.

Destang said short-term rentals have become a permanent feature of Caribbean tourism and should be managed through balanced regulation rather than restrictions.

“Short-term rentals represent both economic opportunity and the need for smart regulation. Our framework recognises that STRs are here to stay and that’s positive for local entrepreneurship, destination diversity and visitor choice.”

CHTA chief executive officer Vanessa Ledesma said destinations adopting transparent registration systems and fair oversight would be better positioned to maximise tourism revenue while protecting visitor safety and long-term sustainability. (CMC)

Barbados opens first resident embassy in Ireland

0

Barbados has officially established its first resident embassy in Ireland, a move aimed at strengthening diplomatic, trade, tourism and cultural ties between the two island nations.

Prime Minister Mia Mottley formally opened the chancery in Dublin earlier this week as Barbados and Ireland marked 25 years of diplomatic relations.

“Today truly is a moment where we deliberately and by choice formalise that relationship through an active presence,” Mottley said during the opening ceremony.

The Barbadian leader said the relationship between the two countries extends beyond diplomacy, pointing to shared historical experiences involving Irish indentured servants and enslaved Africans in Barbados during the 1600s.

“That early linkage, with your people coming as indentured servants and our people coming as slaves, meant that we understood together what it was to be pawns in the hands of those who had ambitions that simply did not see us, did not hear us and did not feel us as human beings,” Mottley said.

She added that both nations had built resilience through their respective struggles for independence from British rule.

“It is not a coincidence that we share so much in common: our values, our aspirations, our ambitions, but equally our journey,” she said. “The Irish know about resilience, and Bajans know about resilience.”

The embassy will be led by Barbados’ first resident ambassador to Ireland, Cleviston Haynes, and is expected to support expanded cooperation in trade, tourism, investment, education, climate resilience and cultural exchange.

Mottley was joined at the ceremony by Senior Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade Christopher Sinckler, Irish officials, members of the Barbadian diaspora and supporters of Barbados living in Ireland.

Ambassador Haynes said the embassy represents an important step in deepening political and economic cooperation between the two countries.

He noted that Irish investment already supports sectors including tourism, telecommunications and healthcare in Barbados, while partnerships with Ireland’s Marine Institute are helping to advance Barbados’ blue economy goals.

Haynes also highlighted opportunities for increased tourism and business travel through trial Aer Lingus services between Dublin and Barbados.

The opening of the embassy comes as Barbados prepares to celebrate 60 years of independence and five years as a republic.

Mottley said the Barbados-Ireland relationship should evolve into “a living partnership” focused on advancing climate justice, peace, equity and the interests of small island developing states.

Former Ceann Comhairle, or Speaker of Ireland’s parliament, Seán Ó Fearghaíl, described Barbados as a stable and well-governed country attractive to Irish investors.

“We have shared visions. We have shared values,” he said. “When they look to Barbados, that is exactly what they see.” (CMC)

DLP urges BWA to address water issues in St David’s

The Democratic Labour Party(DLP) has issued a statement calling on the Barbados Water Authority (BWA) to act with greater urgency and sensitivity in addressing the ongoing water issues affecting residents of St David’s, Christ Church.

Ian Griffith, the party’s spokesperson on Transport and Works, Housing and Infrastructure said he and a team that included former candidate for the constituency of Christ Church East Central Quincy Jones, visited residents on Monday and while some spoke openly about the severe disruption caused by the unreliable water supply, the strongest frustration was poor communication and engagement by the BWA.

He said residents expressed anger and disappointment at what they described as “inadequate updates and poor responsiveness, leaving communities uncertain about when relief can be expected”.

“No direct information has been forthcoming about the cause of the issue, what is being done, if anything, and when normalcy will be restored. These concerns highlight the urgent need for a more transparent and people-centred approach by the BWA and the relevant Government agencies,” Griffith stated.

He also reported that residents were concerned about prolonged outages, inconsistent water tanker deliveries, and extremely low water pressure whenever service is restored. Many explained that these conditions have persisted for months, severely affecting cooking, cleaning, personal hygiene, and the overall well-being of families, particularly the elderly, children, and those with medical conditions.

The DLP, he said, is calling on the BWA, and by extension the minister responsible for BWA, to conduct a walk-about in the affected districts and host a town hall meeting to speak with residents

about the source of the problem, why it is taking so long and what steps are being taken to rectify the issue.

“Residents deserve not only dependable access to water, but also honest communication and meaningful engagement during difficult periods. The people of St David’s must be heard and immediate action is needed to improve the level of service being provided,” Griffith said.

The party is recommending the BWA improve its communication through regular updates via social media, radio, SMS alerts, and community notices; establish and publish a consistent water supply schedule so residents can better prepare; increase the reliability and frequency of water tanker deliveries, especially in the hardest-hit districts; deploy additional water storage tanks in strategic communities; create a dedicated rapidresponse team to assist vulnerable residents and households and accelerate repairs and maintenance in areas experiencing recurring disruptions and ageing pipelines.

The DLP, said Griffith, will continue engaging communities, listening to residents, and advocating for practical solutions that put people first. ( PR/AC)

Update: Three injured in Black Rock shooting

0

Police are investigating a shooting incident which left three people injured and one house damaged at Plum Tree Road, St Stephens Hill, Black Rock, St Michael on Wednesday night.

According to the Barbados Police Service, the incident occurred around 7:47 p.m. Initial investigations revealed that two men exited a white car and walked along the road discharging several gunshots.

One of the injured persons was transported by private vehicle to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, where he is receiving medical treatment. The other two injured individuals, a man and a woman, were assessed by ambulance personnel but declined further medical attention.

Police said one house was also damaged during the incident. Investigations are continuing.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-8477, Police Emergency at 211, or the Black Rock Police Station at 417-7500 or 417-7505.

Three homeless after fire destroys house

0

Three adults were displaced by a house fire at Sion Hill, St James, today.

The home, which was destroyed, was occupied by a woman and her two children, one of whom was rescued from the house.

Oliver Clarke, the uncle of the homeowner, told The Nation he was at home when he heard the house was on fire and called the Barbados Fire Service.

Member of Parliament for St James North, Chad Blackman, and a representative of the Social Empowerment Agency (SEA) visited the scene. He said the family lost everything and the SEA was looking at accommodation and the family’s other needs.

The Barbados Fire Service dispatched two appliances to the blaze. (SAT)

Man pleads guilty to assault

A St Thomas man was granted bail after appearing in court today accused of assault occasioning actual bodily harm on a male juvenile.

This Content Is Only For Subscribers

Please subscribe to unlock this content. Enter your email to get access.
Your email address is 100% safe from spam!

IN CUSTODY: Akeem Deshawn Carter

0

Akeem Deshawn Carter, who was the subject of a “Wanted Man” bulletin, issued on Tuesday, April 21, 2026, is now in police custody.

Carter, who was wanted in connection with serious criminal matters, was brought into police custody today. He is currently assisting police personnel with their investigations. (PR/SAT)

Convicted killer remanded to Dodds until July

At 4:25 P.M. on Monday, a jury found Taurean Jamal Pile guilty of murdering Orlando Maughan after deliberating for an hour and 32 minutes.

This Content Is Only For Subscribers

Please subscribe to unlock this content. Enter your email to get access.
Your email address is 100% safe from spam!

House fire at Sion Hill, St James

0

The Barbados Fire Service is at this time battling a house fire at Sion Hill, St James.

Two appliances are on the scene.

As a result, there will be a traffic diversion in the area.

Vehicular traffic travelling along the Ronald Mapp Highway (2A), will be reduced to single lane traffic from the junction with Rock Dundo to the junction with 3rd Ave Upper Carlton, St James.

Police personnel have been deployed to manage traffic, however, the public is advised to avoid the area and to utilize alternative routes. (PR/SAT)

US restricts visas for 13 linked to fentanyl online pharmacy

0

The United States announced visa restrictions on 13 people linked to a US-sanctioned, India-based online pharmacy that the Trump administration accuses of selling Americans hundreds of thousands of counterfeit prescription pills laced with fentanyl.

The people targeted by the State Department on Tuesday were identified as being “close business associates of KS International Traders and its owner.”

The US Treasury sanctioned KS International and Mohammad Iqbal Shaikh, 34, in September. Shaikh was also among 19 people indicted in New York in the fall of 2024 on charges of selling counterfeit, fentanyl-laced pills to Americans over the Internet and via encrypted messaging platforms.

The targeting of KS International comes amid the Trump administration’s broader crackdown on drug smuggling. Among tactics employed was President Donald Trump’s December 2025 designation of illicit fentanyl and its core precursor chemicals as weapons of mass destruction.

In June, Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced a new policy to impose visa restrictions on drug traffickers, their family members and close personal and business associates.

State Department spokesperson Thomas Pigott said Tuesday that the barring of entry to the 13 individuals “underscores the United States’ and India’s enduring and shared commitment to dismantling illicit drug entities and disrupting trafficking networks that harm Americans.”

“Those complicit in poisoning Americans will be denied entry to the United States,” he said in a statement.

The Trump administration has increasingly used visa restrictions across several policy areas, from punishing Haitian government officials and members of criminal organizations accused of obstructing the nation’s fight against terrorist gangs to Nicaraguan citizens believed to be facilitating irregular immigration into the United States. (UPI)