Monday, May 18, 2026

Gaddafi forces say they control Libyan town

Date:

Share post:

Forces loyal to Libyan leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi have full control of the key western front line town of Zlitan, Libyan officials say.
They had launched a counter-offensive on Wednesday against advancing rebels, who have been fighting government forces with Nato’s support since March.
Libyan officials also said three civilians were killed in a Nato air strike on the outskirts of Zlitan.
Nato said it was investigating the accusation.
A Nato official said a target in the Zlitan area had been struck at 06:30 local time (04:30 GMT) on Thursday morning.
“We are aware of allegations of civilian casualties and we always take such allegations seriously,” a Nato statement said.
Coalition forces began operations in Libya under a UN mandate authorising military action for the protection of civilians.
Over recent weeks, the rebels have been slowly advancing on Zlitan from the port city of Misrata, 70km (45 miles) to the east.
From Zlitan, their intention is to advance about 160km (100 miles) along the road to Tripoli. (BBC)

Related articles

Seales leads Red Force fightback on eventful opening day

Fast bowler Jayden Seales picked the perfect time to score his maiden first-class half-century, with his effort saving...

ANSA McAL’s Barbados revenue declines

Its Barbados-based Operations are feeling the impact as ANSA McAL Limited sharpens the focus on core “growth engines”...

At least six Americans exposed to Ebola during DR Congo outbreak

At least six Americans have been exposed to the Ebola virus during a deadly outbreak in the Democratic...

Judge: Having a gun will do you no good

Nothing good can come from having a gun, especially if you are poor. So declared Justice Carlisle Greaves as...