Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Fifty saved

Date:

Share post:

About 194 workers – one-fifth of the National Conservation Commission’s (NCC) estimated 976 employees – are expected to be laid off by the end of the month.
General secretary of the Barbados Workers’ Union (BWU) Sir Roy Trotman said yesterday that the BWU had been able to save more than 50 jobs through negotiations, but looming job losses remained high.
“The number [of people being laid off] that we talked about today is no longer 250 but we are talking about 194 persons,” he told reporters after negotiations between union officials and NCC management, including general manager Keith Neblett, at the NCC’s Codrington, St Michael headquarters.
“So there has been a considerable reduction, for which we compliment the minister [of the environment], the board of directors and the management of NCC.
“But we are still in discussions with them because there are some issues that are still to be resolved. For example, we need to see what is the process being used in determining that just under 200 [casualties] we are talking about.”
After earlier talks in March, both sides met for about three hours yesterday to discuss the job cuts mandated by Government across the public sector and alternatives to redundancies.

Previous article
Next article

Related articles

Agriculture chief targets challenges

Barbados' newest Chief Agricultural Officer has pointed to praedial larceny, monkeys, labour shortages, rising input costs, climate change,...

Arsenal win Premier League after Manchester City draw at Bournemouth

Arsenal were crowned Premier League champions on Tuesday for the first time in 22 years after Manchester City...

Bostic: Fight NCDs in communities

President The Most Honourable Jeffrey Bostic is warning that health policies aimed at combating chronic diseases will remain...

Bajans weigh gas option

Barbadians are paying more for gas and it has some of them looking for ways to adjust their...