Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Not the same

Date:

Share post:

THE CONCESSIONS granted to Sandals International did not result from the same process as those to the rest of the hotel sector and therefore should not be lumped together.

So said Minister of Finance Chris Sinckler as he explained it was not accurate for the Barbados Hotel and Tourism Association (BHTA) to say the hotel sector had been waiting almost two years for concessions from Government.

“They could not have been waiting 17 months when the law was only proclaimed in January. The Sandals process started more than two years ago but we didn’t take that decision then in relation to [the BHTA] – that decision was crystallised in the middle of last year, as far as I can recall, then the law had to be adjusted, passed, proclaimed and now it is going through the administrative process,” he said.

Sinckler was speaking to journalists after showing up for a later session of the BHTA’s quarterly general meeting at Hilton Barbados yesterday.

Please read the full story in today’s Daily Nation, or in the eNATION edition.

Previous article
Next article

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Prince Louis photo released to mark sixth birthday

Britain’s Prince and Princess of Wales have released a new photo of Prince Louis to mark his sixth birthday...

IMF reduces growth forecast

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has slightly lowered its economic growth forecast for Barbados. Prior to last week’s Spring...

Abrahams: No security threat or cover-up

Minister of Home Affairs Wilfred Abrahams has confirmed that a man who recently entered Dodds Prison with unauthorised...

Bishop, Alleyne in WI ‘A’ team

Uncapped Barbadian DUO Joshua Bishop and Kadeem Alleyne have been selected in the West Indies ‘A’ Team’s 15-member...