PORTVALE SUGAR FACTORY has ground to a halt.
Just over a week after the sugar harvest began, chairman of Barbados Sugar Industry Limited (BSIL) Patrick Bethell told the DAILY NATION that grinding at the Blowers, St James factory had stopped following an issue with the boilers.
“The challenge is the Portvale factory. We’re still having issues with the boilers,” Bethell said via telephone yesterday.
“Right now Portvale only ground 3 400 tonnes last week. And right now this week, it received cane but it hasn’t ground since Monday, but we’re hoping to start back this evening [yesterday],” he added. (AD)
Please read the full story in today’s Daily Nation, or in the eNATION edition.


