Saturday, May 23, 2026

Hope for business pick-up

Date:

Share post:

SOME BUSINESSES IN Speightstown, St Peter, are looking forward to reopening on June 2, with the alphabet shopping system being scrapped, but not all are certain about their future.

Last Thursday, Attorney General Dale Marshall announced that shopping by name would be shelved and Bajans would now be able to do so anytime they needed.

At Jordan’s Supermarket, supervisor Katherine Branch said the scrapping of the alphabet system would bring more people out.

“I think not using the alphabet system will generate a bit more business because people have been calling and asking, being it is not their day, if they can come; they just needed one or two items,” she said.

Branch noted that people probably would only pick up the necessities as most of them had been at home since March 28 when Barbados was first placed under a 24-hour curfew. (RA)

Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.

For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.

Related articles

Symmonds pushes services-led growth as Barbados eyes digital economy expansion

Minister of Energy, Business Development and Commerce Kerrie Symmonds says Barbados must move quickly to diversify its economy...

Traffic upgrades rolled out at Highway 7/Rendezvous junction

Motorists using the junction of Highway 7 and Rendezvous Road are expected to experience improved traffic flow following...

Quinn moulding young artistes

Quinn Prescott loves working with upcoming junior calypsonians and soca artistse. As the youth director of House of...

Guardiola says Man City ‘need new energy’ as exit confirmed

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City need "new energy" as he brought an end to his 10-year reign as manager. The club...