Monday, May 18, 2026

Strike averted, says PM

Date:

Share post:

Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley announced a short while ago that a national strike had been averted and G4S had agreed to pay all security workers $8.79 an hour from January 1, 2021 as opposed to $7.42.

She also said that the changes would benefit not only G4S wokers, but would have an impact on thousands of workers across a range of sectors as Government moves towards a National Minimum Wage.

Mottley said G4S admitted that security officers and security stewards were doing the same work and getting different wages. She said there had also been a commitment to a minimum number of hours as guided by the collective agreement, but not fewer than 40 hours a week.

The Prime Minister said the matter had been ongoing for a number of years.

Government ministers, Barbados Workers Union officials and G4S management held discussions after G4S workers intensified their protests in recent days over a number of issues. (KG)

Related articles

Bodybuilding legend Albert Beckles dies

The local bodybuilding fraternity is in mourning following the passing of one of this island’s best. Albert Beckles,...

St Philip man remanded on firearm, stolen property charges

Police have formally charged 28-year-old Deron Akoya Daisley of Gemswick, St Philip with firearm, ammunition and stolen property...

Seales leads Red Force fightback on eventful opening day

Fast bowler Jayden Seales picked the perfect time to score his maiden first-class half-century, with his effort saving...

ANSA McAL’s Barbados revenue declines

Its Barbados-based Operations are feeling the impact as ANSA McAL Limited sharpens the focus on core “growth engines”...