Thursday, May 21, 2026

$1.5m put aside for jobs

Date:

Share post:

Government has allocated $1.5 million in the 2020 Estimates of Revenue and Expenditure to fund its national first jobs initiative, Jobs Start Plus.

Minister of Labour Colin Jordan said yesterday a significant portion of that money would be used to assist small business people and artisans participating in the training of the 500 young people who had been selected for the pilot programme, with the payment of the $800 monthly stipend which the trainees would receive.

Speaking in the “Well” of the temporarily relocated Parliament at the Worthing Corporate Centre in Christ Church, Jordan said: “We will use as part of the basis of our populating the programme, those households that have been identified as the most vulnerable.”

The programme will give young people the opportunity to get the job experience which most employers demand. (GC)

Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.

For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android. 

Previous article
Next article

Related articles

Arrests made following robbery involving visitor at Bay Street

The Barbados Police Service says several young men have been arrested following investigations into a robbery involving a...

Police issue wanted bulletin for ‘Mad Rapper’

The Barbados Police Service is seeking the public’s assistance in locating Terry Corie Alexandra Waldron, also known as...

Pacers bowl Red Force to historic West Indies Championship title

Trinidad and Tobago Red Force’s pace quartet of Jayden Seales, Anderson Phillip, Terrance Hinds and Joshua James ran...

Trinidad Express moves to retrench staff – union vows to fight

The Banking, Insurance and General Workers Union (BIGWU) says it is moving swiftly to protect employees of the...