Saturday, May 23, 2026

Trapped under Trump’s new policy

Date:

Share post:

An eyewitness to a horrific high profile murder, who fled Barbados because he feared his life was under threat, is now fighting deportation in the United States.

Andre Browne, who left Barbados in 2001 after giving evidence against the four men who killed 22-year-old Marquelle Hippolyte at Weston, St James, has been in lock up for the past three months at New Jersey’s Bergen County Jail, where immigrants facing deportation are held.

While he did not commit a crime, he was detained by immigration officials, when he went for a routine check-in and has become trapped in President Donald Trump’s new immigration policy, which orders deportation for illegal aliens.

Browne’s wife of two years, Axum Browne, has started an online petition to save him from deportation which has garnered 788 signatures so far.

When contacted by the SUNDAY SUN, Cristina Velez, a staff attorney for the Immigrant Defence Initiative, and who is working on Browne’s behalf, said she would have to consult with her client before she could comment. (MB) 

Please read the full story in today’s Sunday Sun, or in the eNATION edition.

Related articles

Family of nine out in the cold

The feud between Shauntelle Butcher and some members of her family came to a head on Thursday. Unable to...

Symmonds pushes services-led growth as Barbados eyes digital economy expansion

Minister of Energy, Business Development and Commerce Kerrie Symmonds says Barbados must move quickly to diversify its economy...

Traffic upgrades rolled out at Highway 7/Rendezvous junction

Motorists using the junction of Highway 7 and Rendezvous Road are expected to experience improved traffic flow following...

Quinn moulding young artistes

Quinn Prescott loves working with upcoming junior calypsonians and soca artistse. As the youth director of House of...