Barbadians can get the once-in-a-lifetime chance to watch Brazilian footballers in live action – once the Dexter Marshall Football Academy can find $500 000 to stage the Los Barbados Tournament.
Slated for April 1 to 7, the event will involve local, regional and three Brazilian teams.
Academy director Dexter Marshall disclosed that the tournament was expected to involve 12 teams each in Under-12, Under-15 and Under-20 divisions.
Marshall has built up a reciprocal healthy football relationship with the South American football powerhouse.
At a Press briefing at Divi Southwinds on Wednesday, he said they were awaiting final responses from local and regional teams to join Cruzero, Amerith Minero and Athletico from Brazil, as well as key sponsors.
Assistant coordinator Paul Leacock urged sponsors to get on board to assist with the tournament which he believes will help develop youngsters and football in Barbados.
“The projected cost of successfully staging the tournament is $500 000 and we have so far confirmed support from Renchris Sports,” Leacock said.
Marshall did not anticipate a challenge with the tournament clashing with the popular Barbados Cup, saying that the simultaneous running of the Inter-Parish Tournament and Lime/Pelican Challenge did not affect top players appearing in both competitions.
General secretary of the Barbados Football Association (BFA), David Hinds, signaled that the BFA would assist in any technical or personnel areas where possible.
Marshall was also optimistic that the tournament would be a success.
He added that his academy would be launching a regional youth clinic in August where 20 recognized youths from throughout the Caribbean would be brought to Barbados to be placed in a camp with Brazilians coming to the island to run the sessions. (KB)


