Friday, March 1, 2024

Elite, Firehouse romp home


Share post:

EMMERSON BOYCE Fifth Avenue Fashion Bajan Elite romped into the quarter-finals of the LIME Pelican Football Challenge with an emphatic 5-1 victory over Ouch Boutique Red Tridents on Sunday at the National Stadium.
There was also a huge win for 2012 finalists Phoenix Toyota UFO Firehouse, who blanked Nulook 360 Connection 4-0.
Bajan Elite racked up 15 points, after claiming victories in each of their five encounters. On the other hand, Red Tridents bowed out with no wins.
Tridents took the lead in the 15th minute when Kadeem Atkins converted a penalty after Bajan Elite’s Barry Skeete was adjudged to have committed a foul in the area.
Jeffrey Williams equalized in the 23rd minute in style, using his vision and awareness. He spotted goalkeeper Jess Turton off his line and effortlessly chipped the ball over his head from about 30 yards out.
Kemar Headley gave Bajan Elite the lead in the 34th minute. The initial shot came off the crossbar and Headley reacted quickly to stab home the loose ball from six yards out.
Bajan Elite scored three goals in the final ten minutes. The first in the 80th minute came from a fantastic strike from Chai Lloyd, who swivelled and turned to curl a left-foot shot into the top right corner.
Shamar Edwards made it 4-1 in the 87th minute, sprinting from his half into the opponent’s penalty area to easily slot the ball past an advancing Turton.
Reviere Williams completed the rout in the 90th minute. He received a pass from midfield, beat the offside trap, side-stepped the goalkeeper and placed his shot into an open net.
Despite reaching the quarter-finals, 360 Connection have lost their last three encounters, conceding more than three goals in each.
They did themselves no favours against Firehouse. From as early as the 18th minute, they were a player and a goal down. Dario Alleyne brought down Shaquille Stewart in the penalty area and being the last defender, referee Trevor Taylor issued Alleyne the red card.
Skipper Norman Forde had to take the penalty twice and he made the second attempt stick, shooting to the left of custodian Albert Brathwaite.
Paul Lovell doubled the score just before the interval. A ball came across from the right side, missing a couple of 360 Connection defenders and into the path of Lovell, who tucked his effort into the far left corner.
Lovell scored his second in the 75th minute, courtesy a rare piece of sloppy goalkeeping from Brathwaite. A feeble effort from Lovell somehow escaped the goalie’s grasp and the ball trickled over the goal line.
360 Connection found themselves down to nine men when centre back Jomo Brathwaite apparently caught the head of Forde, who slid in to make a challenge.
Ryan Hunte capped off an impressive night for Firehouse in the 85th minute, heading home Forde’s free kick at the far post.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Maloney earns first victory in Formula 2

BAHRAIN – Zane Maloney scored his first ever victory in Formula 2 as he recovered from eighth on...

Sadness over Melrose stabbing death

Some Melrose, St Thomas residents are saddened by the fatal stabbing of one of their own on Wednesday...

Judge throws out murder case

Had the prosecution’s main eyewitness come and said what he told police, there might have been a case...

Gold Cup fever runs hot

A bumper crowd is expected at the Garrison Savannah for tomorrow’s 41st edition of the Sandy Lane Gold...