Saturday, May 23, 2026

Not one cent for Manulife clients

Date:

Share post:

BARBADIAN POLICYHOLDERS, who have been battling Manulife in court for more than $160 million in compensation, will definitely not be getting even one cent from the Canadian company.

That’s the final ruling of the Supreme Court of Canada, which last week turned down a last-ditch effort by a group of plaintiffs, including former Supervisor of Insurance Wismar Greaves.

They were seeking leave to file an application to appeal the matter they have been fighting in court for more than 13 years.

Yesterday, lead lawyer for the Barbadians, Harvey Strosberg, QC, confirmed the news.

He told the WEEKEND NATION it was “sad, but true. The Manulife class action is finished”.  (SC)

Please read the full story in today’s Weekend Nation, or in the eNATION edition.

Related articles

Arsonist awaits fate

Next Friday is decision day for self-confessed arsonist Kimberly Shantelle Brathwaite. That’s when she will learn the punishment for...

DLP: Law too soft on money behind gangs

The Democratic Labour Party (DLP) says while it is backing Government’s proposed anti-gang legislation, the bill in its...

Alpha get first word on Day 1

Alpha Sharks Swim Club (ASSC) made the strongest statement on the opening day of the 34th annual Sonia O’Neal...

Franklyn slams NISSS portability plan

General secretary of Unity Workers Union (UWU) Caswell Franklyn is charging that the portability of national insurance benefits...