Saturday, May 23, 2026

Bajan guilty of child rape

Date:

Share post:

 

A Barbadian who pleaded guilty to multiple child sex offences dating back to the 1980s, has been jailed in the United Kingdom.

Born in Station Hill, Richard Riley, 66, of Kimberley Road in Stockwell, London, appeared at Maidstone Crown Court on October 22 where he admitted to four counts of rape of a child under 16 years, and one count of indecent assault of a child under 16. They were committed in the Chatham and London areas between 1982 and 1985.

Riley, who was arrested last year November, was sentenced to nine years and six months in prison.

This was not Riley’s first prison term as he was sentenced in June, 2005, to 15 years for importing Class “A” drugs and money laundering. Then a customs officer at Gatwick Airport, he had facilitated two couriers through the customs Nothing To Declare channels, while each was carrying a suitcase containing a total of 31 kilogrammes of high purity cocaine with a street value of £2.4 million.

The judge at Southwark Crown Court had at the time described Riley as “an absolutely central figure” in the plot as he was given “rivers of cash”. Riley had systematically betrayed his employers by feeding the drug gang with highly confidential intelligence.

Some of the money went to feed his gambling habit. When his home was searched, a cardboard tube was discovered stuffed with £15 000 in £10 and £20 notes.

After his release from prison, Riley had immersed himself in community activities, taking on leadership roles in church and, until recently, held the rank of grandmaster in his local lodge.

Despite his criminal record, his recent arrest has come as a shock to his friends and the community.

A spokesperson for NSPCC (the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children) said: “Riley’s victim has shown incredible courage in speaking out about the awful abuse suffered at the hands of this predator. No matter how long ago the abuse took place, without the right help and support, sexual abuse will ruin lives.”

Investigating officer Detective Constable Rebecca Taft said: “Riley has acted in an appalling manner over a number of years. His actions have caused awful suffering and it is only right that he is to serve a substantial prison sentence.

“I would like to commend the bravery of the victim, who showed great courage in coming forward to report the abuse and help us bring this man to justice,” she added.

Once he has completed his sentence, Riley will be placed on the Sex Offenders’ Register for an indefinite period. (TR)

Related articles

Arsonist awaits fate

Next Friday is decision day for self-confessed arsonist Kimberly Shantelle Brathwaite. That’s when she will learn the punishment for...

DLP: Law too soft on money behind gangs

The Democratic Labour Party (DLP) says while it is backing Government’s proposed anti-gang legislation, the bill in its...

Alpha get first word on Day 1

Alpha Sharks Swim Club (ASSC) made the strongest statement on the opening day of the 34th annual Sonia O’Neal...

Franklyn slams NISSS portability plan

General secretary of Unity Workers Union (UWU) Caswell Franklyn is charging that the portability of national insurance benefits...