Friday, April 12, 2024

Mia outlines transport changes

Date:

Share post:

Barbadians are all for a $1 decrease in bus fare for schoolchildren, after Prime Minister Mia Mottley yesterday intervened in what had become a raging national controversy.

She confirmed the reduction at an emergency meeting with all transport sector stakeholders, which lasted more than two hours at Government Headquarters.

“The privately-owned public service vehicles [PSVs] have agreed that they will not charge schoolchildren more than $2.50,” Mottley told the media.

The Prime Minister also explained that in the coming months several PSVs would be added under the Transport Board “brand”, which would be identified with decal stickers, on which the students would travel for free.

“In the case of the Transport Board buses, that $2.50, obviously, is paid by Government. But in the case of the PSVs that are privately-owned and not working under the Transport Board brand, then the schoolchild will pay $2.50.

 Subscribe now to our eNATION edition.

For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Shopkeepers playing it safe

Some shopkeepers are on high alert because of the recent increase in aggravated burglaries and robberies. While some said...

Drug testing hold-up

Athletes competing in various local sporting disciplines have not been tested so far this year to determine whether...

Double blow for mother

Shavvy Dublin was already having a difficult Monday because it was the anniversary of her daughter’s sudden death. Unfortunately,...

Shopkeepers playing it safe

Some shopkeepers are on high alert because of the recent increase in aggravated burglaries and robberies. While some said...