Tuesday, May 19, 2026

22% drop in school enrolment

Date:

Share post:

School enrolment has dropped by 22 per cent since the 2014-15 period, revealed Minister of Education Kay McConney yesterday.

Speaking during her presentation yesterday in Parliament, she said overall the enrolment was down even though there had been an increase in some parts of St Philip and Christ Church. However, there were marked decreases in St Lucy and other parishes, she said.

“Barbados had less persons enrolling in schools and when we look at what is also happening with our population, we are not reproducing at a fast rate. It says to us that there are less and less persons – certainly when we start calculating when these students will leave school – we are recognising that with 22 per cent less enrolment we have taken a hit in our human capital and in our labour force,” McConney said.

The minister said education reform therefore had to go far beyond the Common Entrance Examination as there was also under performance in some areas, disengagement by males and lower levels of certification. (AC)

Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.

For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.

 

Related articles

Bodybuilding legend Albert Beckles dies

The local bodybuilding fraternity is in mourning following the passing of one of this island’s best. Albert Beckles,...

St Philip man remanded on firearm, stolen property charges

Police have formally charged 28-year-old Deron Akoya Daisley of Gemswick, St Philip with firearm, ammunition and stolen property...

Seales leads Red Force fightback on eventful opening day

Fast bowler Jayden Seales picked the perfect time to score his maiden first-class half-century, with his effort saving...

ANSA McAL’s Barbados revenue declines

Its Barbados-based Operations are feeling the impact as ANSA McAL Limited sharpens the focus on core “growth engines”...