Sunday, May 24, 2026

Portvale comes to a halt

Date:

Share post:

PORTVALE SUGAR FACTORY has ground to a halt.

Just over a week after the sugar harvest began, chairman of Barbados Sugar Industry Limited (BSIL) Patrick Bethell told the DAILY NATION that grinding at the Blowers, St James factory had stopped following an issue with the boilers.

“The challenge is the Portvale factory. We’re still having issues with the boilers,” Bethell said via telephone yesterday.

“Right now Portvale only ground 3 400 tonnes last week. And right now this week, it received cane but it hasn’t ground since Monday, but we’re hoping to start back this evening [yesterday],” he added. (AD)

Please read the full story in today’s Daily Nation, or in the eNATION edition.

 

Previous article
Next article

Related articles

Roll, rain and high drama as King of the Hill roars into action

The 2026 edition of the First Citizens King of the Hill event got underway this morning as drivers...

Police warn public over fake traffic penalty scam notice

The Barbados Police Service is warning the public about a fraudulent notice currently circulating online, which falsely claims...

Suspect killed after opening fire on Secret Service near White House

A gunman who shot at a White House security checkpoint was killed in an exchange of fire with...

Work on cultural facility at standstill

Questions are mounting over the Barbados National Performing Arts Centre in Newton, Christ Church, (at right) as work at the...