Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Late lunch

Date:

Share post:

THOUSANDS of primary schoolchildren could soon be getting their state-subsidised lunches late.

That is one of the negative outcomes expected as upset workers at the School Meals Department (SMD) insist they will not be working a single minute longer than the new shifts they have been instructed to follow.

Shop steward Orlando Maughan told the DAILY NATION yesterday that staff had been reporting to work as many as two hours ahead of the 6 a.m. start of their shift to ensure the meals were completed in a timely manner, but starting today that would no longer be the case.

“In that case, I would not have to tell you what would be the outcome . . . . The children would more than likely be getting their lunch late. The work is such that if we start at six in the morning, it is almost impossible to get the lunch out before 11 o’clock, but the workers will be sticking to their times and not working one minute more,” Maughan said.

Please read the full story in today’s Daily Nation, or in the eNATION edition.

Related articles

Ice woes continue in fishing sector

Poor management as well as the inadequate access to ice within the fisheries sectors is threatening the livelihood...

US charges Cuba’s Raúl Castro with murder 

The US has charged former Cuban leader Raúl Castro with conspiracy to kill US nationals and other crimes...

Humphrey: Move afoot to right a wrong

Government is attempting to right a wrong that disadvantage those working more than one job when it comes...

Haynesville stabbing victim identified

The man who died in an altercation at Haynesville, St. James, yesterday, was identified by a relative as...