Saturday, May 23, 2026

Young docs may sue over internship

Date:

Share post:

ABOUT ONE DOZEN young medical doctors who have been unable to get into the internship programme at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) could soon be heading to the law courts.

The doctors, all of whom graduated from the Faculty of Medicine at the University of the West Indies (UWI) Cave Hill campus since last June, have been turned down by the QEH on the grounds that there were more qualified Barbadian applicants than available positions, and as a result applicants were chosen according to their marks in the Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) final exams.

In the letter dated July 10 last year and signed by consultant Dr Clyde Cave, the hospital’s internship coordinator, the QEH said: “Regrettably, we are unable to offer you a position at this time and we do not anticipate any vacancies in the next six months.

“I strongly urge you to make every effort to source an internship position elsewhere in the Caribbean as soon as possible as competition for positions in the near future will be even more intense.” (TS)

Please read the full story in today’s Weekend Nation, or in the eNATION edition.

Related articles

Arsonist awaits fate

Next Friday is decision day for self-confessed arsonist Kimberly Shantelle Brathwaite. That’s when she will learn the punishment for...

DLP: Law too soft on money behind gangs

The Democratic Labour Party (DLP) says while it is backing Government’s proposed anti-gang legislation, the bill in its...

Alpha get first word on Day 1

Alpha Sharks Swim Club (ASSC) made the strongest statement on the opening day of the 34th annual Sonia O’Neal...

Franklyn slams NISSS portability plan

General secretary of Unity Workers Union (UWU) Caswell Franklyn is charging that the portability of national insurance benefits...